Friday, June 26, 2009

Swimming Lessons

I used to be a competitive swimmer. I really loved swimming and felt "at home" in the pool.

But then I grew up, went to college, got busy, had a baby and didn't really get to swim much anymore.

Earlier this Spring Steven and I were discussing things we were really passionate about, other than each other, family, friends, and jobs. We went on to discuss things that we feel like we were just blessed with and felt alive while we were doing. I mentioned swimming was one for me and then I started re-living swimming memories!

From there we decided to get online and look at the YMCA's website since we wanted a Y membership. Well it was rather expensive and that did not fit into our meager budget. Soooo, we happened to look on the Job Posting link and what do ya know?? There were swim lesson instructor position available!! Wahoo it seemed like it would be a perfect fit for me, combining my passion for swimming, with my teaching abilities and love for kids!!

Well I started out in April teaching two classes on Tues/Thursday nights. It was fun...But a lot of work. I realized that it was actually kind of difficult for me to "teach" something that came so natural to me. I don't even remember learning to swim or know if I ever even took lessons, I just know how to swim.

So besides getting a free Y membership, getting paid (a little), getting out of the house, teaching, and getting some exercise this new little hobby job has given me a lot more. Its given me some lessons in faith! First it was totally out of God's providence that Steven and I had this conversation, looked at the website, and I got this job. It has been such a good outlet for me and I have learned more than I think I am actually teaching. Second lesson in faith is that learning to swim, takes some faith and trust. These kids who have never swam or are scared of the water have to trust the person teaching them literally with their lives. I have had three brothers in my class this month who would barely get their heads wet the first class. They were so scared and had to put their faith in me and my abilities. At first it was so hard for me to get them to do ANYTHING. I was thinking, "O great, how am I going to teach them anything?!?! But as time went on, they starting trusting me and were willing to try new things, such as put their heads in the water, (which is kinda of essential to learning to swim!)

Our daily faith can be related to this lesson in swimming. We have to put our trust in God, that he knows best the plan for our lives. Just like me teaching kids how to swim, since I know how to swim, God is showing us how to "swim through life" we just have to be obedient to what he asks us to do!

No comments: